Friday, January 13, 2006

Upon the horns of a dilemma

First off, is a dilemma related etymologically to the rhetorical (and logical) device of a 'lemma'? (small proof serving as a subset of a larger proof?). Now that we have obtained today's non-sequitur, on to business. So, the first week of classes has ended. At the beginning of the week, I was registered for 15 credits, but now only 11. I decided to drop Cell Bio after the first day. My primary reason for so doing was based primarily on sentiment rather than reason. I had never looked forward to the class, didn't think it sounded too interesting, and had been warned off it by a friend. I just had a bad feeling about the class. I am, however, still registerd for Investigations in medical physiology which I think will prepare me adequately for the medical portions of the biological sciences section of the MCAT. Concurrently, I am also taking more O-Chem and O-chem lab. Ochem will be lots of work this term, I think. With more time on my hands, however, I think I'll be able to tackle the innumerable chemical reactions I"m required to learn. MCAT preparation is going well right now, I have two good books from KAPLAN to supplement the binders from eh KAPLAN course I received from a friend. Reading lesson plans is ok, but I'd rather read tips designed to be exclusively for the student. I think the hardest parts are going to be the Gen. Chem and the Physics portions, for two reasons. They are the most calculation intensive portions, as well as the parts over which I think my grasp of the material is the most tenuous.

No comments: